Humidity is evil!
I grew up in southern California, where lots of things are evil, but humidity is rarely one of them. In my most recent art, I am trying many things, and revisiting mediums with maybe a different angle than eons ago. I have found success in some—and real problems, with others!
I did a fair number of pieces, and larger ones (48″ x 32″) where the plaster remained stable, as long as I poured some white glue in with it. I kept the layers fairly thin on application, as well.
I am experiencing cracking as the pieces cure (now), though even 5 years ago, in Barrington, because the humidity was lower, I did not have a problem. Even after curing, I am still dealing with it! I also think that working with the powder vs. the pre-mixed might also have been a factor, though I am not sure why.
So, any FYI for those of you playing in this medium-I love it but it’s heavy, and now…unstable. I will update if I find a solution.