I accepted every “challenge” I got, from creating a piece a day for 30 days to a piece a day for five, and for a reason. They have forced me to think beyond the three-week long oil on canvas and even the small watercolors, since I really am striving to incorporate as much as I know in the 2-D world into single pieces. This is giving me an excuse to brush up on many mediums that I haven’t touched in a long time, and make them work in ways that I haven’t used them yet.
Erika Carty came to our Artshare meeting last night bearing gifts. The pastels she had included colors I don’t have and since I am starting to use them in my watercolors…I also have to give an acknowledgement to Mell Bosch who suggested using chalk pastels like I do oil pastels with my water-based paint. I took those pastels and played with them, only including Sharpie markers. I wet the paper first. And, there is no watercolor paint in this piece.
So, as I continue to work these challenges, this is a piece that I may not have ever produced otherwise! Thanks for this challenge!
I grew up in southern California, where lots of things are evil, but humidity is rarely one of them. In my most recent art, I am trying many things, and revisiting mediums with maybe a different angle than eons ago. I have found success in some—and real problems, with others!
I did a fair number of pieces, and larger ones (48″ x 32″) where the plaster remained stable, as long as I poured some white glue in with it. I kept the layers fairly thin on application, as well.
I am experiencing cracking as the pieces cure (now), though even 5 years ago, in Barrington, because the humidity was lower, I did not have a problem. Even after curing, I am still dealing with it! I also think that working with the powder vs. the pre-mixed might also have been a factor, though I am not sure why.
So, any FYI for those of you playing in this medium-I love it but it’s heavy, and now…unstable. I will update if I find a solution.
I have too many excuses. No excuse, and I know that successful bloggers don’t go there.
I am in the process, as I have mentioned a few times, of breaking out of the geometric mode that I was in and experimenting with collage, etc.
This is the newest of those pieces. After I came home yesterday and sorted through the 132 pictures that I shot (see last few posts), I dug through a pile of very old prints (last decade), and came up with an 10″x8″ macro of a tulip. That’s where it started.
(The “image” in the upper-left does not exist-it’s reflection. That area is fairly flat color.)
In this piece is also a print of a painting from the Art in Small Places series-making the statement that it’s done. And, I don’t see the unraveling process as negative, at all. It is still a continuum, and I can analyze it now with the knowledge of what came before and after. I will take from that and expand.
I never thought I would ever say that not knowing exactly where I want my art to go would be liberating. And, it isn’t really. But, this process of finding it is. I have work ready for the next shows, so I am covered until May. And, my one-person in May is one that I could probably do a retro. Cross my fingers on that.
So, the exercises and questions continue. What’s fun about these periods is I visit mediums I don’t usually. Today was all about markers and pencil.
So, in my search for my perfect mode of expression for my ever-changing and expanding universe-all right, a crock, but you get where I am going… I am playing with lots of different ideas. Some are so banal they are giggle-worthy and gag-producing, but they are being entertained, nonetheless. As I drain the mental colander, and sift out the lumps, it’ll be interesting to see where this goes. The collages are part of the process. I am also doing some random drawing and painting exercises to refresh rendering skills, etc.